Saturday, May 12, 2007

Do You Know What's Lurking on Your Credit Report Today?

One in 4 people have a serious error on their credit report. Have you checked your credit lately? You may be surprised what's lurking there. Last year when I began the process of purchasing my current home, the lender pulled my credit and it showed 24 errors. Most were problems that were from my ex-husband's credit, some were old accounts with erroneous information, some were collections from long ago, and some were completely unknown to me. Some were quite serious, including a $30,000 WaMu line of credit from in 1996 that was still showing as active and with a balance!

I wanted to avoid this kind of thing in the future, so I conducted some research and found True Credit. It's an online service from TransUnion, which is one of the 3 credit reporting services. For a nominal fee every month, I receive an email if something on my credit report is added or changes. Also, they have good advice on clearing credit mistakes, creating better credit, and links to areas where you can file discrepancies online.

I used the online dispute form for all of the mistakes on my credit for all 3 services. It took about a year and some persistance, but every single one of them is now gone. Whenever there is some activity on my credit, I receive an email immediately and can log on to see what has happened. I've raised my credit scores nearly 100 points this way. The one downfall is the huge number of sales-pitch screens you have to get past when you first log on. It's annoying to say the least. However, overall I am really happy with my investment.

The link is: http://www.truecredit.com/

Also see this one from Bankrate: Checklist to Fix Credit Report Mistakes

No comments: